It is a new year. The time of year many of us consider making changes to help us lead happier, healthier lives. On New Year’s Day, I laced up my tennis shoes for the first time in over six weeks. Covered head-to-toe in winter running gear, I plodded out of my front door and went for a jog in the freshly fallen snow. With headphones blaring, and my Garmin app set, I set out for my two-mile trek.
I am not a natural runner. I am neither fast nor lovely when I run. But that doesn’t stop me. Plus, running is cheap. The only things I need are a decent pair of shoes and a healthy amount of determination.
The night before, well…at 12:12 a.m. on New Year’s Day to be exact…I joined 12,499 other people who, like me, had set a goal for themselves. We will all be running on May 4, 2014 in the Lincoln National Guard Marathon and Half Marathon.
For businesses, it is just as important to have this year’s goals in mind. All businesses should begin the New Year with goals set, plans in place and a conceivable means to track them.
Just like all runners do as they prepare for their races.
My Goal: 13.1 miles on May 4, 2014
What is your goal?
- Launch a new line of products
- Hire more staff
- Increase sales/traffic by 30%, 40%, or more
- Create a digital space for a product or company
Take a moment and think about the future of your business and your career. Write down what you want to achieve, obtain, learn and generate.
My Plan: 12-week training starts February 17
Do you have a plan?
- Know what to do daily, weekly and monthly to achieve each goal
- Obtain the necessary tools for success (i.e. I need running shoes, workout clothes, and a little grit and determination.)
- Follow through with the plan
My Tracking System: Garmin app that records my pace, distance and calories burned
Can you measure progress?
- Put systems in place to gauge whether you are on track to succeed
- Create timelines or deadlines for specific stages of your goal
- Make any necessary adjustments as you begin to record your results
Setting goals is not difficult. Following through with them is another story. I hope you resolve to be determined in 2014.
Happy New Year!